Saturday, May 28, 2011

In-Training


On an early November morning a few years back both me and my four legged buddy were fast asleep in my bedroom when we were awoken by a ba-boom, ba-boom, ba-boom and it was coming from my roof. Uli started barking immediately and furiously and a very confused me just lay in bed wondering what the hell was on the roof. Next, we heard a few more ba-boom sounds and as I was looking out of the window, I saw the undercarriage of a young deer jumping from the roof to the back yard. I couldn't believe what I had just seen so I put some shoes on and ran outside and made sure Uli didn't follow me outside. And there was a beautiful deer at the top of my yard (which slopes uphill). I ran back inside and grabbed my camera and propped the fence open thinking that his only way out would be through the gate. How wrong I was. As I climbed the stairs to get to the area where the deer was, his front hooves were at the top of the 7 foot fence (not sure of exact height but it was a high fence). I thought, no way. No way are you going to jump that....where'd you go? He hopped once and didn't make it but then hopped a second time and cleared the fence. I couldn't believe it. I guess he was practicing his roof landings so that he could join Santa's team the following month.

PS, my neighbor's driveway was at a slope that made it an easy jump to get on my roof. I didn't get a photo of the deer so today's photo is of Uli riding in the car. He hates to get into the car but once he's there, he seems to not hate the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment